
MOGADISHU, Somalia – The U.S. military has carried out airstrikes against senior ISIL militant group in the Al-Miskad mountains, northeast Bari region of Somalia on Saturday.
This area, located within Puntland regional state’s territory, has been an ISIL stronghold for several years.
The air raids were conducted by fighter jets launched from the USS Harry S. Truman, currently in the Red Sea.
President Donald Trump said he ordered airstrikes targeting the group’s attack planner and other militants he recruited and led in Somalia.
Trump confirmed the strikes destroyed the militants’ hiding caves and killed many terrorists, without harming any civilians.
“Our military targeted this ISIL planner for years,” he said.
He stated his message to ISIL and any attackers: “WE WILL FIND YOU, AND WE WILL KILL YOU!”
Somalia’s President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud said he was briefed on Saturday’s U.S. air raid, amid political tensions with Puntland.
President Mohamud said the latest operation is a sign of Somalia’s strong security partnership with the U.S.
On Sunday, Puntland authorities reported that key figures in the group were neutralized in the airstrikes.
They also thanked the U.S. for its aerial support in the fight against the group.
This comes amid a growing political rift between Puntland leadership and President Mohamud over constitutional changes.
Last week, Puntland stated it had received no financial or military aid from President Mohamud’s government to battle the group.
However, the phase one of the operation began in December, and since then, Puntland has been handling the ISIL group alone, capturing major bases.