
BOSASO, Somalia — A roadside bomb killed at least three Puntland security personnel and wounded five others on Sunday after striking a mine-detection vehicle in northeastern Somalia’s Bari region, officials said.
The explosion took place on the newly built road linking Bosaso and Dhadar while Puntland forces were conducting a security operation, local official said.
He said those killed included the logistics commander of the Dayah unit, Jama Mohamed, also known as Afdhashiike, along with a mine-detection specialist and the vehicle’s driver. Five other people were also injured.
Security at the scene was beefed up following the explosion. Puntland authorities deployed additional troops to the area and temporarily halted civilian and vehicle movement along the Bosaso road as security operations continued.
Puntland security officials have not yet issued a formal statement on the attack.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast, but such attacks are often carried out by the Islamic State group across the Bari region, where Puntland forces have been fighting the extremist group.
Last year, group killed senior Puntland officers and soldiers using similar land mine explosions.