US says al Shabaab fighter killed, 2 injured in 2 airstrikes in Somalia
MOGADISHU — The U.S. military says it has killed an Al Shabaab fighters and two others woumded in two airstrikes carried out on Feb. 6. near Jilib town, southren Middle Juba region of Somalia.
In a statement released by the US military Africom command said the strikes were conducted in coordination with the Federal Government of Somalia.
“Airstrikes are one way we help prevent al-Shabaab from building a safe haven to plan deadly attacks against the U.S. homeland and East African partners,” said U.S. Marine Corps Brig. Gen. Bradford Gering, deputy director of operations, U.S. Africa Command.
Al-Shabaab is the most kinetically-active al-Qaida affiliate worldwide. Al-Shabaab’s network indiscriminately commits acts of violence and is responsible for the deaths of innocent Africans, Western allies, and American citizens.
He says an al-Shabaab facility was severely degraded, and two (2) al-Shabaab terrorists were wounded as a result of those two airstrikes.
“We currently assess no civilians were injured or killed as a result of these airstrikes”, he added.
This comes as Somali journalist Mohamed Osman says the US strike had bombed residential house in Jilib town last week, killing a liitle girl and wounded 3 others.
Osman, victims’ relative living in Mogadishu, posted on his Twitter that his relatives were targeted by US strike.
There was no immediate comment from US military over the allegation.