VIDEO SHOWS: NEWS BRIEFING AT DEFENCE MINISTRY; EXTERIOR OF DEFENCE MINISTRY BUILDING; PHOTOGRAPHS OF OHIO-CLASS GUIDED-MISSILE SUBMARINE USS MICHIGAN ARRIVING AT BUSAN
SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (OCTOBER 16, 2017) (REUTERS – ACCESS ALL)
1. SOUTH KOREA’S DEFENCE MINISTRY BRIEFING IN PROGRESS
2. JOURNALISTS AT NEWS BRIEFING
3. (SOUNDBITE) (Korean) SOUTH KOREA’S NAVY COMMANDER AT PUBLIC AFFAIRS OFFICE, JANG WOOK, SAYING:
“The drill has begun today. The drill including Attack Carrier Striking Forces and Joint Anti-Special Operations Forces training is conducted to enhance capability of combined operations for North Korea’s provocative behaviours on the sea. The drill is also staged at south of the Northern Limit Line (NLL).”
4. JOURNALIST SITTING
SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (FILE – 2017) (REUTERS – ACCESS ALL)
5. EXTERIOR OF SOUTH KOREA’S DEFENCE MINISTRY
6. SOUTH KOREA’S NATIONAL FLAG AND MILITARY FLAGS
(MUTE) BUSAN, SOUTH KOREA (OCTOBER 13, 2017) (DVIDS – ACCESS ALL)
7. STILL PHOTOGRAPH OF OHIO-CLASS GUIDED-MISSILE SUBMARINE USS MICHIGAN PULLING INTO THE PIER OF SOUTH KOREA’S BUSAN NAVAL BASE AND SOUTH KOREAN NAVY WAVING SOUTH KOREAN AND U.S. NATIONAL FLAGS
8. STILL PHOTOGRAPH OF USS MICHIGAN ARRIVING
9. VARIOUS STILL PHOTOGRAPHS OF USS MICHIGAN ARRIVING AND SOUTH KOREAN NAVY WAVING FLAGS
STORY: South Korea and the United States began week-long joint Navy drills in the waters around the Korean peninsula on Monday (October 16), amid high tensions over North Korea’s nuclear and missile programme.
About 40 Navy ships from both countries, including the nuclear-powered USS Ronald Reagan aircraft carrier and U.S. submarine Michigan, are taking part in the exercises on the east and west coasts of the peninsula from October 16 to 20, South’s defence ministry said on Monday.
North Korea has called joint military exercises by the United States and South Korea a “rehearsal for war”.
Tensions on the Korean peninsula have risen sharply in recent weeks following a series of weapons tests by Pyongyang, including its sixth and most powerful nuclear test on September 3 and two missile launches over Japan, and a war of words between the United States and North Korea.