- Financial stability;
- The safety and soundness of financial institutions;
- The fair treatment and protection of financial customers;
- The efficiency and integrity of the financial system;
- The prevention of financial crime;
- Financial inclusion;
- Transformation of the financial sector; and
- Confidence in the financial system.
The Act also establishes two new financial sector regulators, the Financial Sector Conduct Authority and the Prudential Authority with jurisdiction over all financial institutions, and to provide them with a range of supervisory tools to fulfil their objectives.
It further provides for, and ensures that there is, co-operation and collaboration between the financial sector regulators, the National Credit Regulator, the Financial Intelligence Centre and the South African Reserve Bank.