Somalia:Afgoye conference approves draft constitution for the Shabelle State of Somalia
Mareeg.com-According to a press release, the General Assembly conference which took place in Afgooye District on Sunday where 800 Constituency Assembly members approved the draft constitution of the Shabelle State of Somalia.
800 Constituency Assembly members from all segments of society froma Lower and Middle Shabelle received a copy of the latest draft of the constitution and after debate and consultations, 773 members approved the constitution while 27 members objected the draft constitution. Therefore, the draft constitution was finally accepted by the constituency assembly members.
Organizing Committee has thanked the technical committee that put together the draft constitution followed a serious of consultation meetings with the people in both Shabelle regions.
After the approval of the constitution, the Constituency Assembly discussed the way forward and has agreed the following:
1. To continue meetings, consultation and discussion with key stakeholders;
2. To continue reaching out to all segments of the society including those in Baidoa conference with a view to find a lasting solution through reconciliation, compromise and dialogue.
3. To continue discussions and dialogue with the Federal Government so that they can take the leading role of the process, as what we are doing is in line with the provisional constitution and the laws of the country.
4. Next step is to elect the President and the Vice President of Shabelle State of Somalia.
5. To select members of the parliament that is fully inclusive, representative and gives a greater role to minority groups including women in the region.