
MOGADISHU, Somalia – Yusuf Hussein Dhumal, the Minister of Internal Security for Jubaland, a regional state in Somalia, has claimed that he survived an assassination attempt on Friday during a visit to Balad Hawo, a town in the Gedo region along Somalia’s border with Kenya.
In an interview with Shabelle TV, Minister Dhumal said a group of military soldiers intercepted him, demanding that he pledge his allegiance to the Federal Government of Somalia (FGS) or face arrest, which led to a standoff.
He stated that those he had once promoted and recommended for advancement were responsible for the attack, citing political disputes between his regional president, Ahmed Madobe, and Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud over violations of the new unified electoral system.
Sources say President Madobe sent Dhumal and other ministers to rally support in their constituencies. Dhumal returned to Balad Hawo, where FGS troops were stationed. Madobe’s recent re-election was deemed invalid for defying the country’s popular process.
“We have no troops in Balad Hawo, even though Gedo region is under our jurisdiction,” Dhumal said. “FGS soldiers followed our orders until we severed ties with the government over interference with our constitution and elections.”
Dhumal also dismissed rumors circulating on social media that claimed Jubaland soldiers stationed in Balad Hawo had surrendered to the government. “No Jubaland soldiers were in Balad Hawo,” he stated. “This is a false claim intended to mislead the public.”
Last month, the Somali government deployed hundreds of military personnel to Raskamboni, a town about 274 km from Kismayo, in an effort to capture him on charges of treason and election system violations.
However, viewing his re-election as constitutional, Madobe condemned the troop deployment to his region, seeing it as a threat to his leadership. He also gave the government a 15-day deadline to withdraw its troops from the Lower Jubba region.
Madobe sent hundreds of his own troops to establish defensive positions near Raskamboni. Additionally, he cut communications and grounded all flights to and from the town in an effort to isolate the government troops.
Political analysts suggest that President Mohamud is unlikely to abandon his vision of implementing a nationwide election system, which Somalia has not used since 1969.
Despite calls for restraint, the feuding leaders remain unwilling to resolve their differences at the negotiation table. Security experts have warned that the standoff could escalate into an armed confrontation.
In 2013, during his first term, President Mohamud clashed with Madobe when he refused to step down, leading to several days of fighting in Kismayo. Madobe ultimately held his ground and has continued to lead Jubaland since.
It remains unclear whether Mohamud will set aside current tensions with Jubaland and compromise, as Farmaajo did, to avoid bloodshed, a power vacuum, and political unrest, or proceed with his plan for nationwide elections.