MOGADISHU, Somalia – The Ankara Declaration faces its first major test as Somalia accuses Ethiopia of violating the accord by launching an “unprovoked” attack on Somali troops in Dollow, Gedo region.
Somali Foreign Ministry said Monday’s attack resulted in casualties among its military personnel, describing it as a “blatant violation” of the Ankara agreement signed between Somalia and Ethiopia.
Brokered by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, the deal was designed to ease tensions stemming from Ethiopia’s controversial MoU with Somaliland, a breakaway region of Somalia.
Monday’s incident in Dollow could reignite regional tensions and further weaken the already fragile relations between Somalia and Ethiopia.
Reliable sources indicated that Somali government soldiers and forces from Jubaland exchanged gunfire in Dollow, amid escalating tensions over election violations by President Ahmed Madobe of Jubaland.
The clash reportedly erupted when an attempt was made to block the arrival of the new Gedo governor appointed by President Madobe, leaving three dead and seven wounded, including civilians.
Dollow is controlled by Mayor Mohamed Hussein Abdi, who is backed by Jubaland and has close relations with Ethiopian forces stationed in the town, sources said.
In a statement, Jubaland authorities said soldiers taking orders from Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud had attacked the city’s airport and police station.
The region also stated that President Mohamud would take responsibility for the fatalities from the incident. The statement did not mention whether Ethiopian troops were involved.
Two weeks ago, government forces clashed with Jubaland in Raskamboni, where Somali National Army troops were deployed, resulting in deaths and injuries. Raskamboni eventually fell to Jubaland.
Despite tensions easing after Raskamboni, the Somali government deployed police and military units to Garbaharey, a town in Gedo region under Madobe’s jurisdiction.
Tensions erupted last month when Madobe held an indirect election, securing his re-election. In response, President Mohamud rejected the result, citing violations of Somalia’s new unified system.
However, Somalia accused Ethiopia of backing Madobe, an allegation Ethiopia has yet to respond to.
Monday’s incident in Dollow also coincided with Somalia sending a delegation to Addis Ababa to advance the Ankara Declaration and discuss Ethiopia’s role in the new AU mission.
Somalia said the visit underscores its unwavering commitment to deepening bilateral ties with Ethiopia, as outlined in the Ankara Declaration signed by President Mohamud and Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed.
However, it remains unclear whether the Ankara Declaration will proceed, as Somalia says Ethiopia’s attack on its troops will not go unanswered, further weakening the already fragile relations.