Somalia: 35 hospitalized after eating poisonous UN Food-Aid
MOGADISHU, Somalia – At least 35 people, including women and children have been admitted in hospital in Somali capital, Mogadishu after eating suspected poisonous UN food-aid porridge.
The alleged poisoning took place at camps in Kahda district of Mogadishu.
The victims were ferried last night to Banadir hospital where they are getting treatment, according to medical officials, who spoke to BBC.
The medical officials say the victims started complaining after preparing and eating porridge supplied to them by UN aid agency.
Most of the children complained of stomach upset whereas others fainted, according to medics.
Deputy Head of Social Affairs in Mogadishu, Basmo Amir Shekeiti warns internally displaced people eating the United nation’s distributed porridge flour.
It is unclear if aid food had chemicals until it is investigated.
Somalia faced a severe humanitarian crisis triggered by multiple natural disasters and long term political instability which are having a crippling effect on the country’s economy.