MOGADISHU Somali armed group, Al Shabaab says claimed to have carried out Tuesday’s attack in the Nairobi hotel complex in retaliation for U.S. President Donald Trump’s decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.
Sheikh Ali Mohamud, the group’s spokesman, said its fighters stormed into Dutsit hotel in Nairobi after car bomb explosions in a response to the “witless remarks” of Trump and his declaration of Jerusalem as capital of Israel.
“This firm message goes to US President to Donald Trump”, Mohamud said in a statement.
The group claims to have killed at least 74 people during hotel siege on Tuesday in Nairobi.
Mohamud says US and UK nationals were killed in the attack.
Toll hits to 21
The death toll from the attack has risen to 21 people, with 50 people are still missing after hours of gun attack on hotel complex in Nairobi capital.
Kenya’s president Uhuru Kenyatta vowed to track down terrorists who staged a deadly assault the day before on a hotel-and-office complex in an upscale suburb of Nairobi.
Kenyatta said all attackers had been “eliminated” and warned his government was launching an aggressive manhunt for all those involved.
Kenyan Police said at least 21 people had been killed at the capital’s Dusit D2 complex, where surveillance video showed at least four gunmen walking through the parking lot as the siege began in mid-afternoon.