Shining Path leader released after 25 years in prison
PROTESTERS OUTSIDE PRISON, MARTHA HUATAY LEAVING PRISON IN CAR WITH FACE COVERED, FILE OF HUATAY AFTER SHE WAS ARRESTED, FILE OF SHINING PATH ATTACK FROM 1992
LIMA, PERU (OCTOBER 16, 2017) (REUTERS – ACCESS ALL)
1. OFFICERS FROM THE NATIONAL PENITENTIARY INSTITUTE GUARDING THE PRISON ENTRANCE
2. VICTIMS AND RELATIVES OF VICTIMS OF SHINING PATH VIOLENCE PROTESTING THE RELEASE OF SHINING PATH LEADER, MARTHA HUATAY
3. MISSING HAND OF VICTIM OF SHINING PATH VIOLENCE
4. PROTESTERS HOLDING SIGNS READING: “YOU KILLED MY HUSBAND” AND “YOU KILLED MY MOTHER”
5. (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) VICTIM OF SHINING PATH VIOLENCE, JONATHAN VILLANUEVA, SAYING:
“Now Martha Huatay is going to leave. She was the right arm of Abimael Guzman Reinoso and we are indignant and we are raising our voices in protest so that they do not continue releasing those miserable [people]. They made miserable the lives of thousands of people that didn’t have anything to do with this issue.”
6. MEDIA GATHERED AT EXTERIOR OF PRISON
7. CAR BELIEVED TO BE CARRYING RELATIVES OF HUATAY
9. CAR CARRYING HUATAY LEAVING PRISON
10. VARIOUS OF HUATAY IN CAR COVERING FACE
11. MEDIA SURROUNDING CAR
LIMA, PERU (FILE) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (AMERICA TV – NO ACCESS PERU)
12. VARIOUS OF HUATAY BEING PRESENTED BEFORE MEDIA
LIMA, PERU (FILE) (ORIGINALLY 4:3) (REUTERS – ACCESS ALL)
13. VARIOUS OF ATTACK IN LIMA IN 1992 THAT KILLED 25 CIVILIANS AND LEFT OVER 200 INJURED
STORY: One of the Shining Path’s top leaders was released on Monday (October 16) after 25 years in prison.
Now 74 years old, Martha Huatay, left a penitentiary in northern Lima in the evening. Photographers surrounded the car but she covered her face with a purple scarf.
A small group of protesters gathered outside the prison earlier in the day demonstrating against her release.
Huatay, also known as “Comrade Rosa”, was arrested in October of 1992 and charged with crimes such as planning, supervision, executing and evaluating violent acts and attacks carried out be the Shining Path.
The final report of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission says that the Shining Path was responsible for over 35,000 deaths and disappearances.