PUNTLAND STRONGLY OPPOSES THE AGREEMENT PURPORTING TO CREATE A FEDERAL STATE FOR CENTRAL REGIONS
THE GOVERNMENT OF PUNTLAND STRONGLY OPPOSES THE MOGADISHU AGREEMENT PURPORTING TO CREATE A FEDERAL STATE FOR CENTRAL REGIONS IN A MANNER THAT CONTRAVENES THE FEDERAL CONSTITUTION OF SOMALIA.
In reference to the July 30th 2014 Agreement announced in Mogadishu, the Puntland Council of Ministers convened in an extraordinary meeting chaired by the President HE Dr.
Abdiweli Mohamed Ali Gas in which the following decisions were taken;
1. Having seen the Federal Constitution Article 50 sections 5 and 6; Article 52 sections 2b and 3, it is clear that the said Agreement is unconstitutional and consequently unacceptable to the Somali people, in particular the Government and people of Puntland.
2. The Government of Puntland regrets that members of the International Community participated as witnesses to this unconstitutional agreement.
3. The Government of Puntland finds it unfortunate that the Executive Leadership of the Federal Government in Mogadishu have sponsored an agreement that blatantly disregards the Federal Constitution and has the potential for re-igniting civil conflict in the country.
4. The Government of Puntland is calling upon the members of the legislative and executive branches of the Federal Government hailing from Puntland for consultations in Garowe by no later than August 15th 2014.
5. The Government of Puntland is also recalling the Puntland member of the Federal Constitutional Review Committee Hon. Asha Gelle Dirie for consultations.
6. The Government of Puntland with immediate effect freezes all cooperation with the Federal Government in Mogadishu.
7. The Government of Puntland states categorically that the Federal Government in Mogadishu will bear responsibility for any and all negative consequences resulting from this unconstitutional attempt at state formation.