
MOGADUSHU, Somalia – The African Union Support and Stabilisation Mission (AUSSOM) officially began on Wednesday, following the UN Security Council Resolution, despite concerns over troop contributions.
The mission is focused on ensuring long-term peace and security in Somalia while gradually transferring security responsibilities to the Somali National Army (SNA).
African Union Special Envoy for Somalia, Mohammed El-Amine Souef, affirmed that they would continue engagements under AUSSOM, providing operational support for Somalia.
“On behalf of the AU Mission, I affirm our commitment to the Federal Government of Somalia’s stabilisation efforts and post-conflict recovery,” Ambassador Souef said.
Burundi withdrew from the mission after Somalia limited its troop numbers to 1,041 personnel and rejected its request for at least 2,000 soldiers.
A Burundian diplomat accused Somalia of betrayal by allocating a small troop number, which he said could endanger their soldiers. “We’ll withdraw—we’re not staying to die.”
The mission may also face a new challenge, as Ethiopia, due to withdraw by December 31, missed the pullout deadline set by Somalia and seeks to join the mission.
Reliable sources say Ethiopia is seeking to leverage the recent deal with Somalia in the Ankara Declaration led by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan last month.
However, Somalia is expected to release the names of each country participating in AUSSOM next week, despite the mission being set to last only one year due to the U.S. cutting funding.