VIDEO SHOWS: PEOPLE WOUNDED IN SOMALIA BOMB BLAST BEING TAKEN TO HOSPITAL/THOSE WOUNDED SPEAKING ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED FROM THEIR HOSPITAL BEDS
RESENDING WITH COMPLETE SCRIPT
SHOWS: MOGADISHU, SOMALI (OCTOBER 29, 2017) (REUTERS – ACCESS ALL)
1. VARIOUS OF FAMILY MEMBERS HELPING WOUNDED PERSON TOWARDS MADINA HOSPITAL
2. MORE FAMILY MEMBERS HELPING THE WOUNDED PERSON TO THE HOSPITAL
3. VARIOUS OF RAHA ABDULAH SHEIKH SITTING INSIDE MADINA HOSPITAL AS SEARCH CONTINUES FOR HER MISSING BROTHER
4. (SOUNDBITE) (Somali) RAHA ABDULAH SHEIKH, MOGADISHU RESIDENT SAYING:
“My brother is nowhere to be seen. He was driving a car at the scene. We found a dead body inside his ruined car but after taking it home we found it was somebody else who looked like him. We returned the body. When we heard the blast we called both his phones but they were off. Now we are told there was found a hand and a leg that looks like his. I am rushing back to the blast scene.”
5. VARIOUS OF PEOPLE HELPING WOUNDED PEOPLE IN THE HOSPITAL
6. VARIOUS OF WOUNDED MAN IN HIS BED AT MADINA HOSPITAL
7. VARIOUS OF HIRSHABELE LAWMAR MOHAMED OLAD ABDI LYING IN THE BED AT MADINA HOSPITAL
8. (SOUNDBITE) (Somali) HIRSHABELE LAWMAR MOHAMED OLAD ABDI SAYING:
“I was driving a car and a colonel security officer stopped me, saying that two cars just in front of me were suspect. As I stopped there was a blast and the colonel died on the spot. The whole place turned into smoke and gunfire. I didn’t think I would survive. Inside my ruined car they got me out and my right eye ball was in my hand. Doctors put my eyeball back into the socket, stitched and bandaged as you see. The colonel died in front of me and another security guy also died inside my car.”
9. VARIOUS OF WOUNDED MAN IN BED AT MADINA HOSPITAL
10. VARIOUS OF INJURED BOY IN BED AT MADINA HOSPITAL
11. (SOUNDBITE)(Somali) DR MOHAMED YUSUF, GENERAL DIRECTOR OF MADINA HOSPITAL, SAYING:
“Twenty four people were admitted to the hospital and five of them died on the way to the hospital and we are still busy treating them and some of them were transferred to other hospitals in the city”
12. VARIOUS OF SERIOUSLY WOUNDED MAN IN THE HOSPITAL
STORY: Those wounded in a bomb attack on a hotel in the Somali capital Mogadishu have spoken of their ordeal.
Authorities say at least 29 people died in the siege that followed Saturday’s (October 28) blast as militants gained access to the building and took hostages.
A man injured in the initial bombing told Reuters on Sunday (October 29) that he had seen corpses in the aftermath, while a woman said she was searching for her missing brother.
The attack began around at 5 p.m. on Saturday with a car bomb, and the siege – in which at least 12 police officers were killed – was not ended until Sunday morning.
The explosion destroyed the front of the three-storey hotel and a next door hotel was also damaged. Many Somali officials live in fortified hotels because they offer better security from attack.
Islamist group al Shabaab has claimed responsibility. They want to overthrow the weak, U.N.-backed government and impose a strict form of Islamic law.