Communiqué from 2nd phase of info ministries in Garowe
7. The Participants, gave their consent to establish a Public Awareness Committee consisting of the Ministry of Information from the Federal Government and Member States of the Federal System of Somalia, this committee will prepare the Strategy to be implemented at federal level.
8. The Participants, reached an accord that this committee will be appointed by the Ministers of Information.
9. The Participants, acknowledged the need to increase and encourage cooperation among the Media both Federal and State level, putting emphasis on the collaboration, resource and content sharing etc. The directors of the governmental TVs have been praised for their implementation of agreements reached in the last conference.
10. The participants, considering the importance for quality and unified messages produced creatively, have approved the establishment of National Media Production Centre in Mogadishu with regional centres in capitals of the states.
11. The participants, corresponded that this Center will be national, co-managed by a committee which will be appointed by the Ministers of Information from the Federal government and Member States. Members will be expert professionals on Media Production. The content produced by the Centre will be shared across with governmental media and also with the private media.
12. The participants, acknowledged the need for having a Media Communication Strategy that allows knowledge sharing among the Federal, States and the Private Media. This strategy will encourage to easily share resources and content across the country and allow to unitedly respond to crisis in a timely manner.
13. The participants, agreed that all the federal and member states will have members and there will be branches in the capitals of the states.
14. The participants, have thanked and expressed their appreciation to the International partners which have been helping the development of Somali Media in particular TIS+ and other organisations that assisted governmental Somali Media and the Private Media. SSI (Dalbile) which plans to provide up to 6 transmitters in support of Jubbaland and South West State Media have also been thanked.
15. The participants, called on the partner Organisations and International Governments which support Somalia to assist the Ministries of Information from the Federal and the Federal Member States how the public awareness messages could reach rural areas of the country in order to counter terrorism messages from violent terrorist organisations affecting Somali Youth in those residents.
16. The participants, requested that the these partners continue assisting Somali Media with immediate necessary assistance accorded to the state media of HirShabelle and Galmudug which are currently under-developed due to their late establishment. In addition provide assistance to all other State Media such as the Federal, Puntland, Jubbaland, South West, Galmudug and South West to reach remote areas of the country.
17. The participants, encouraged all the Somali Media to respect the ethics of journalism, while the conference openly debated on this issue and national ethics of journalism have been agreed which will be implemented before the approval of the Media Law currently before the Federal Parliament of Somalia.
18. The participants, called on Somali Media that journalism should not be used negatively and should be constructive while steering away from false news, fabrication and anything that could harm the nationalism and unity of Somali Nation.
19. The participants, expressed their appreciation to the Parliamentary Committee of Information and Communication which promised to share with the media the current Media Law discussed at the parliament before submitting for second reading.
20. The participants, pointed out the necessity of completing the Media Law and requested Somali Federal Parliament to ensure an urgent approval of the Media Law.
21. The participants, proposed that the next bi-monthly inter-ministerial conference of the country’s Information Ministries to be held in Kismao from end of July to early August, 2018 and subsequently held in Baidoa, Dusamareb and Jowhar in accordance with the sequence of their establishment.
The Conference has been closed by the Deputy President of Puntland, H.E. Abdihakim Abdullahi Omar “Amey” at a ceremony that was attended by other senior member of Puntland government including the deputy speaker of Puntland parliament, all the delegation members of Somalia’s Ministries of Information.