Communiqué from 2nd phase of info ministries in Garowe
Inter-Ministerial Consultation Conference focusing on the Cooperation, Collaboration and Development of Somali Media has been held in Garowe by the Information Ministers of the Federal Government and the Member States of the federal system of Somalia.
The Conference begun on 11 April 2018 and ended on 14 April, 2018.
The Conference, has been officially opened by the deputy President of Puntalnd, H.E. Eng. Abdihakim Abdullahi Omar (Amey), and was also attended by the acting Minister of Information, Culture and Tourism of the Federal Government of Somalia, H.E. Abdirahman Idan Yonis, the Minister of Information, Communication, Heritage and Culture of Puntland, H.E. Abdi Hersi Ali “Qarjab”, the Minister of Information, Communication and Technology of Jubbaland, H.E. Abdinur Ali Adan, the Minister of Information and Public Awareness of South West, Ugas Hassan Abdi Mohamed, Deputy Minister of Information, Culture and Tourism of Galmudug, H.E. Abdirahman Jama Afrah, the Minister of Information, Culture and Tourism of HirShabelle, H.E. Abdiweli Mohamed Abdi, the Secretary General of the Federal Parliament Committee of Information and Communication, H.E. Jibril Abdirashid Hagi, Chairwoman of the Upper House Parliamentary Committee of Information and Communication, Muna Omar Hassan, Representatives of Banadir Regional Administration (BRA), the Chairman of National Union of Somalia Journalists (NUSOJ), Mahir Jama, Media Association of Puntland (MAP), Mohamed Dahir Eynsane and the High Council for Media of Puntland, Nur Shire Osman.
The conference duration has been 4 days and the following points had been discussed:
A) Establishing the Public Awareness Commission and Completion of the Public Awareness Strategy.
B) Design and Formation of the Central Media Production
C) National Ethics of Journalism
D) Update on the progress of Media Law before Federal Parliament of Somalia.
E) Establishing the National Media Communication Strategy.
The following points has been agreed:
1. The Participants, have thanked Puntland Ministry of Information, Communication, Heritage and Culture for hosting the delegation from the Federal and the States’s Information Ministries in Garowe, the Federal Ministry of Information, Culture and Tourism has also been thanked for organising the bi-monthy inter-ministerial conference of Somalia’s Information Ministries and the Private Media.
2. The Participants, have thanked Somali leaders of Journalists for their role on the consultation conference and sharing their views.
3. The participants, have agreed to double their efforts in implementing the National Public Awareness Strategies all over the country by the Federal Government and the Member States of the federal and the private media.
4. The Participants, acknowledged the need for establishing a public communication strategy for building the trust between the government of the Federal and its members and Somali public. Programmes on Reconciliation and Forgiveness are also encouraged. It has been agreed that Wadajir Radio Programme be expanded to the State Radios for rebroadcast and local content contribution. Wadajir Radio Programme focuses on covering activities and success stories of Stabilisation, Reconciliation, District Council Formation e.t.c.
5. The participants, committed to establish common Radio and TV programmes which focus on addressing the fight against violent extremism while guiding the Somali Youth to the right path.
6. The participants, concurred that, in order to obtain Public Awareness in response to the public need that is impactful and united, there is a need to establish Public Awareness Strategy addressing such need all over Somalia.