British farmers prepare pumpkins ahead of busy Halloween period
VIDEO SHOWS: PUMPKINS IN FIELD AT FARM, INTERVIEW WITH PUMPKIN GROWER, GUY FRENCH
BASILDON, ESSEX, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (OCTOBER 11, 2017) (REUTERS – ACCESS ALL)
1. VARIOUS OF PUMPKINS IN FIELD
2. VARIOUS OF FARMER, GUY FRENCH, PUSHING PUMPKINS IN WHEEL BARROW
3. (SOUNDBITE) (English) FARMER – FOX’S FARM PRODUCE, GUY FRENCH, SAYING:
“We love halloween. It has always been in the family, my dad used to grow them and we just capitalised on this as well. It is very Americanised, a growing market and we just love pumpkins.”
4. VARIOUS OF PUMPKINS
5. (SOUNDBITE) (English) FARMER – FOX’S FARM PRODUCE, GUY FRENCH, SAYING:
“We grow about ten different varieties. Our most popular ones are our biggest ones and there is always a competition for who has got the biggest one. Any size in terms of the orange ones, but people love the different range of sizes, the different shapes, the different colours.”
6. ORANGE AND BLACK PUMPKINS IN FIELD
7. (SOUNDBITE) (English) FARMER – FOX’S FARM PRODUCE, GUY FRENCH, SAYING:
“Last year we grew a Frankenstein pumpkin. We grew it in a mould and it shaped into a Frankenstein head and they looked pretty cool. When you are carving them, any different shape, size, making pumpkin soup, pumpkin pie and looking up a recipe for it.”
8. VARIOUS OF FRENCH WALKING THROUGH PUMPKIN FIELD
9. VARIOUS OF FRENCH LOOKING AT PUMPKIN
10. VARIOUS OF PUMPKINS NEXT TO PUMPKIN PLANT
11. VARIOUS OF VEGETABLE BOX
12. PAN FROM BLACK PUMPKINS TO ORANGE ONES
13. VARIOUS OF ODD-SHAPED PUMPKINS
14. FRENCH MOVING PUMPKINS IN WHEELBARROW
15. VARIOUS OF PUMPKINS IN BOXES
STORY: Pumpkin sales are peaking ahead of Halloween festivities, and farmers are expecting to do brisk trade in the upcoming weeks.
Halloween is the second largest retail festival in the UK after Christmas.
Fox’s Farm Produce grow and sell between 50,000-100,000 pumpkins a year – all in the lead up to Halloween, and sell both directly to consumers and shops.
“We love Halloween. It has always been in the family, my dad used to grow them and we just capitalised on this as well. It is very Americanised, a growing market and we just love pumpkins,” says Guy French, who grew up on a potato and vegetable farm and has run Foxes Farm Produce since 2003.
Millions of pumpkins are grown in the UK each year, and up to 90% of orange ones are sold in the lead up to Halloween.