I get it… believe me I do. We live in world that perpetuates a narrative that portrays us as angry, aggressive vulnerable, refugees… and I know that we are prideful people … I know that as a community we try to preserve and talk about the good in us for our children to see in the hope that it will overshadow all of the negative told to them about us… I know.
But we cannot plaster over the cracks and ignore the infestation that is destroying what we stand for… We cannot continue to ignore issues that make us feel uncomfortable… we cannot close our eyes to the wounds we have CHOSEN to leave open.
We need to bring these issues into our community centres, homes, and across our dinner tables… We need to openly and honestly start talking WITH each other.
– We NEED to talk about … FGM in our community
– We NEED to talk about… Mental Health in our community
– We NEED to talk about …. Violence against women in our community
– We NEED to talk about… Disability in our community
– We NEED to talk about … Poor Health in our community
We cannot begin to heal until we recognise the extent of our injuries.
We cannot move forward unless we allow ourselves to delve into the uncomfortable. Written by
Muna Abdi Lecturer in Psychology